Founded in 1990, Laguna Canyon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the South Coast Wilderness, a 22,000-acre network of open space surrounding Laguna Beach in Orange County, California.
We acquire open space to add to the parks system, offer education programs for school children and the general public, maintain and improve trails, and restore habitat throughout the South Coast Wilderness.
The Restoration Program is currently engaged in over a dozen different projects, ranging from habitat mitigation to weed management to rare plant protection to fuel modification.
The Restoration Technician will work closely with the Restoration Director, Restoration Manager and Restoration Coordinator, other Laguna Canyon Foundation staff, landowners and partners to implement both small scale and landscape level habitat restoration projects.
This position performs duties including but not limited to: native plant seed collection, native plant propagation and installation, irrigation installation and maintenance, qualitative and quantitative monitoring of restoration sites, mechanical and chemical weed control, and GIS mapping. This position is primarily field based and requires extensive physical labor in adverse conditions and difficult terrain, including but not limited to working with herbicide, hand weeding, digging, bending, kneeling, and hauling heavy, awkward materials and equipment. The ideal candidate will have experience working on habitat restoration projects, be a strong problem solver who is comfortable using an adaptive work management style, have a proven track record working both independently and as a team member, and be dependable, self-motivated and have a positive attitude.
- Conduct field work in support of new and ongoing habitat restoration projects, including:
- Obtaining, propagating and installing plant propagules
- Identifying and managing non-native plant populations through a combination of herbicide application, hand-pulling, mowing and mulching
- Installing, monitoring and maintaining irrigation systems
- Making monthly and quarterly site observations
- Assisting with annual vegetation monitoring and photo documentation
- Other tasks as assigned
- One year of experience in gardening, landscaping, plant nurseries or related field
- Knowledge of or ability to learn about and identify local native and non-native plants
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently, both independently and as a productive team member
- Access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license and required insurance coverage, and willingness to use vehicle for work purposes (mileage reimbursement available)
- Experience performing physically demanding labor in adverse weather conditions and difficult terrain
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, time management skills, and organizational abilities
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours and evening hours as necessary
- Highly motivated and a proven self-starter
- Passion for Laguna Canyon Foundation’s mission
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience with herbicide application in a restoration setting
- Experience using handheld power tools (e.g., weed trimmers, brush cutters, chainsaws)
- Experience in implementing habitat restoration projects
The person in this position:
- Constantly works in outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Constantly traverses off-trail over rough terrain and steep slopes, sometimes through thick vegetation.
- Frequently lifts and carries loads up to 25 pounds and occasionally lifts loads up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently positions self close to the ground to pull weeds, fix irrigation lines, etc.
- Frequently grips and manipulates hand tools such as shovels, picks, loppers, wrenches, hammers, etc.
- Constantly exchanges information both verbally and in written form with supervisor, co-workers, and others.
- Remains in a stationary position for up to 30% of the time.
Salary and Benefits:
- Hourly rate of $15.
- This is a seasonal position beginning on 11/1/18 and ending on or about 6/14/19.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com