Founded in 1990, Laguna Canyon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the South Coast Wilderness, a 22,000-acre network of open space surrounding Laguna Beach in Orange County, California which is on traditional lands of the Tongva and Acjachemen peoples. We acquire open space to add to the parks system, offer education programs for school children and the public, maintain and improve trails, and restore habitat throughout the South Coast Wilderness. The Restoration Program is currently engaged in over a dozen different projects, ranging from habitat mitigation to weed management to rare plant protection to fuel modification.
Laguna Canyon Foundation’s Outreach Coordinator will be supporting our mission to connect surrounding communities with the protected wilderness parks through our public programs. The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with the Outreach and Development Director and other Laguna Canyon Foundation staff to support, staff, and coordinate outreach programs such as volunteer events, education programs, community engagements, and marketing efforts. This position will work internally to coordinate and organize these activities as well as participate in leading them.
Please note: the work schedule for this position will be Tuesday-Saturday, primarily in person or in the field.
- Coordinate education programs, including the South Coast Wilderness Education program for Title 1 schools.
- Develop and schedule all school programs.
- Outreach to partner schools to promote the SCWE program.
- Schedule staff for field trips.
- Deliver supplies and lead field trips.
- Coordinate Internship program in partnership with select LCF Staff.
- Recommend 24 modules (12 weeks) including but not limited to: restoration, conservation, trails, education, advocacy, fundraising, resume/interview skills, writing social media, blogs, and grants.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and supporting all new and existing volunteers; assist in scheduling regular Volunteer Orientations and enrichment opportunities.
- Develop, schedule, and market volunteer trainings at least twice a year.
- Working with Outreach Director and Trails Coordinator, assist in scheduling and planning volunteer opportunities and events. Attend assigned events while ensuring LCF staff’s attendance at their respective events.
- Compile and distribute end of month volunteer data.
- Analyze offerings concerning public attendance and volunteer satisfaction. Modify as needed.
- File volunteer paperwork and maintain the volunteer database.
- Work with OC Parks on volunteer duties and activities.
- Market and cross-market public programs to increase volunteer engagement and to gain community interest in both volunteering for and support of Laguna Canyon Foundation.
- Develop hikes and coordinate leads for local school groups, special needs groups, community groups, and other interested parties outside of the SCWE program. Reach out to LCF board’s contacts, as appropriate.
- Assist with community events and engagements; staff events as needed.
- Oversee and staff contracted public programs such as trail outreach, campfire programs, and other community events.
- Plan educational events (some volunteer-only; some public).
- Manage social media and web content in partnership with LCF staff.
The ideal candidate will have strong critical thinking skills with a proven track record working both independently and as a team member. They will be dependable, self-motivated, and have a positive attitude.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to interact with diverse audiences effectively and respectfully as well as county and city personnel.
- Skills in time management, scheduling, and coordinating locations for events as well as vendors for events; attend as needed.
- CPR/First Aid certification (which LCF will offer as part of the onboarding).
- Experience with social media, marketing, and merchandising.
- Experience in the related non-profit field.
- Fingerprinting for background checks may be required.
- Over 18 years old.
- Access to reliable transportation to arrive at shift on time.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with course work in environmental studies, sustainability, science, or related field preferred.
- Work is outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Work is on trail over rough terrain and steep slopes.
- Occasionally lift and carry loads up to 25 pounds.
- Occasionally positions self-close to the ground to pull weeds, fix irrigation lines, etc.
- Occasionally grips and manipulates hand tools such as shovels, cultivators, loppers, hoes, hammers, etc.
- Occasionally uses power tools such as string trimmers, brush cutters, and augers.
- Constantly exchanges information both verbally and in written form with supervisor, co-workers, and others.
- Remains in a stationary position for up to 30% of the time.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, time management skills, and organizational abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently, both independently and as a productive team member.
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn about the local wilderness area and ecosystems.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn about and identify local native and non-native plants.
- Familiarity with local parks, trails, habitats, environmental agencies, and regulations.
- Basic computer literacy and the ability to quickly learn new computer programs.
- Access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license and required insurance coverage, and willingness to use vehicle for work purposes (mileage reimbursement available).
- Experience working outdoors in all conditions.
- Experience working with children.
- Experience leading volunteer events.
- Experience with social media.
- Experience performing physically demanding labor in adverse weather conditions and difficult terrain.
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours and evening hours as necessary.
- Highly motivated, creative, and a proven self-starter.
- Passion for Laguna Canyon Foundation’s mission.
Salary and Benefits:
- This full time position has an hourly rate starting at $21.50 (based on qualifications and experience).
- Please send a cover letter and resume to Derek Breaux at email@example.com