Founded in 1990, Laguna Canyon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the South Coast Wilderness, a 22,000-acre network of open space surrounding Laguna Beach in Orange County, California which is on the traditional lands of the Tongva and Acjachemen peoples.
We acquire open space to add to the system of protected lands that make up the South Coast Wilderness, offer education and volunteer programs for school children and the general public, maintain and improve trails, restore habitat and conduct other land management activities throughout the South Coast Wilderness.
LCF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages BIPOC candidates, those identifying as LGBTQIA+ and other people from groups traditionally underrepresented in the environmental field to apply.
The Field Coordinator will work closely with Laguna Canyon Foundation staff to implement projects and programs in the Conservation department and collaborate with staff from the Education & Outreach and Trails department. This position will supervise the Conservation Field Crew and coordinate their work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise approximately 6 members of the Field Crew, including approval of timesheets, regular 1:1 check-ins, and assisting in the hiring process.
- Coordinate, schedule, and support the Field Crew, including technical support and oversight of fieldwork and required maintenance activities, implementation of safety programs, coordination with Project Managers, procurement of materials and equipment, and coordination of logistics.
- Conduct and oversee habitat restoration activities including planting and seeding, irrigation installation, operation & maintenance, and weed management activities.
- Conduct vegetation monitoring and wildlife surveys.
- Collect, manage, and analyze geospatial data.
- Educate and direct contractors in the field and ensure compliance with treatment protocols, environmental regulations, and contract requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Constantly exchanges information both verbally and in written form with supervisor, co-workers, and others.
- Frequently works outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Frequently grips and manipulates hand tools such as shovels, picks, loppers, wrenches, hammers, etc.
- Frequently traverses off-trail over rough terrain and steep slopes, sometimes through thick vegetation.
- Frequently carries loads up to 35 lbs.
- Sometimes uses optics such as binoculars and laser rangefinders.
- Sometimes operates power tools such as brushcutters and augers.
- Remains in a stationary position for up to 30% of the time.
- Occasionally lifts and carries loads up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with coursework in conservation or a related field and at least 2 years practical experience in conservation or related field OR at least 3 years practical experience in conservation or related field
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, time management skills, and organizational abilities.
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn about the local wilderness area and ecosystems.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn about and identify local native and non-native plants.
- Experience working outdoors in all conditions.
- Experience conducting habitat restoration activities.
- Experience leading volunteer events.
- Experience with social media.
- Experience performing physically demanding labor in adverse weather conditions and difficult terrain.
- Basic computer literacy and the ability to quickly learn new computer programs.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional weekend hours and evening hours as necessary.
- Passion for Laguna Canyon Foundation’s mission.
- Ability to interact with diverse audiences effectively and respectfully.
- Skills in time management, scheduling, and coordination of events.
- CPR/First Aid certification (paid training available from LCF).
- Over 18 years old.
- Has or can obtain a valid California Driver’s License.
- Access to reliable transportation and willingness to use personal vehicle for work (mileage reimbursement available).
- The ideal candidate will have strong critical thinking skills with a proven track record working both independently and as a team member. They will be dependable, self-motivated, and have a positive attitude.
- The full-time position has an hourly rate at $22-24 per hour based on qualifications and experience.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org