Laguna Canyon Foundation is a wonderful place to work!
Founded in 1990, Laguna Canyon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the South Coast Wilderness, a 22,000-acre network of open space surrounding Laguna Beach in Orange County, California which is on traditional lands of the Tongva and Acjachemen peoples.
We assist in the acquisition of open space to add to system of protected lands that make up the South Coast Wilderness, offer education programs for school children and the general public, maintain and improve trails, restore habitat and conduct other land management activities throughout the South Coast Wilderness.
LCF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages BIPOC candidates, those identifying as LGBTQIA+ and other people from groups traditionally underrepresented in the environmental field to apply.
Outreach Coordinator – Job Summary
Laguna Canyon Foundation’s Outreach Coordinator will be supporting our mission to connect surrounding communities with the protected wilderness parks through our public programs. The Outreach Coordinator will work closely with the Outreach Director and other Laguna Canyon Foundation staff to support, staff, and coordinate outreach programs such as volunteer events, education programs, and activities. This position will work internally to coordinate and organize these activities as well as participate in leading them. This position will be a combination of desk work and field time. This is a part time position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and lead public events such as stewardship and education programs
- Assist with internal communications and correspondence with partner groups
- Assist with reporting and data entry
- Assist with media content creation and organization
- Support the South Coast Wilderness Education Program
- Coordinate and organize field trips
- Educate visiting students on field trips
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, time management skills, and organizational abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently, both independently and as a productive team member
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn about the local wilderness area and ecosystems
- Knowledge of or ability to learn about and identify local native and non-native plants
- Familiarity with local parks, trails, habitats, environmental agencies, and regulations
- Basic computer literacy and the ability to quickly learn new computer programs
- Access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license and required insurance coverage, and willingness to use vehicle for work purposes (mileage reimbursement available)
- Experience working outdoors in all conditions
- Experience in working with children
- Experience leading volunteer events
- Experience with social media
- Experience performing physically demanding labor in adverse weather conditions and difficult terrain
- Ability and willingness to work weekend hours and evening hours as necessary
- Highly motivated, creative and a proven self-starter
- Passion for Laguna Canyon Foundation’s mission
- Strong communication skills: ability to interact with diverse audiences effectively and respectfully as well as county and city personnel
- Skills in time management, scheduling and coordinating locations for events as well as vendors for events; attend as needed
- CPR/First Aid certification (which LCF will offer as part of the on-boarding)
- Experience with social media, marketing, and merchandising
- Experience in related non-profit field
- Fingerprinting for background check may be required
- Over 18 years old
- Access to reliable transportation to arrive at shift on time
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with course work in environmental studies, sustainability, science, or related field preferred.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!